Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Cravings...

I spend the whole day being super psyched about going to the gym, tonight. It's been too long and exercise really has become an addiction. If it wasn't evidenced by doing sit-ups and push-ups when I couldn't sleep last night, it's proven by the fact that I am giddy when I think about working up a sweat. It's like I'm a completely different person, now. But in a good way. It's not like I'm dating Exercise and she's constantly manipulating me into a different person like in the hilarious 'Makin' Changes' episode of 'Happy Endings'. Exercise is making me a healthier and more confident individual.

I get home from work and I'm so excited about Dynamic Core that I leave a full half-hour early so that I can get in some time on the elliptical as well. It's like a glorious homecoming when I arrive. People start clapping and throwing confetti. People hold out their new born children for me to kiss, and several women get a little misty. After an acceptable amount of mingling I head down to the cardio room and hop on an elliptical machine.

I only get about a minute and change into my workout when Rachel shows up and I have to put Ke$ha away so that I can actually be social with Rachel. Ten minutes later, we head up to the studio and wait to fight our way through the masses and claim our usual spot. Kiki recently went to a workshop and came back inspired to kick our butts (so I've heard) so I'm a little scared to see what's in store for us. 

As usual, Kiki does not disappoint and my craving to sweat is apparently a craving that I can fill. Past classes have involved the core in many of the exercises, but I haven't ever felt like my core is too used. Maybe I've been doing everything wrong, which is entirely possible, but tonight my core feels it all the way up to my sternum. And it will not stop. Sit-ups, push-ups, burpees, Pilates, we do everything. I could cry and I may in fact already be crying. I can't really tell because I'm sweating so much. I'm starting to think I should invest in some compression shorts.

I know I'm getting a great workout and I also am still finding myself surprised by the measurable changes happening to my body. I can now get my legs up over my head without throwing myself backwards, even though I still can't touch the floor behind my head. That will come in time. I can't get too far ahead of myself. Side planks are still awful, not only because they're difficult to do, but because I keep getting cramps in my hips. It's not fun to do anything with cramps (ladies...). I'm kind of starting to enjoy squats, believe it or not. And we do plenty of them, tonight. We also do them on our toes and by the end, my calves feel outrageously sore. Like criminally sore. 

The gym is wonderful, everyone. Get on board with it. I will literally go with anyone anytime I am free so if you're nervous for some inexplicable reason, I will help you conquer your fear. Also, take classes. Classes provide great structure and motivation so if you can't seem to keep yourself busy on your own, a class would be great for you. Also, if any gyms are looking to hire a spokesperson, please contact me. As evidenced by this blog, I would be great at it.

No comments:

Post a Comment