Monday, December 3, 2012

Repurpose...

It is quite difficult to effectively blog when I have two jobs and practically no time. But please be aware that I am making my best effort and hopefully will get back on top of things. I know I said once before that this wouldn't happen again and it did, so I'm making a promise to try to be better.

Tuesday was dynamic core and I'd love to tell you all about exactly what happened during class and all the outrageous things that we had to do, but alas, I can not remember. The only thing I can remember specifically is that for the first time ever, I looked in the mirror and liked the way I looked. Despite being sweaty and nasty! It was a miracle. I've been to therapy and I've been on pills and nothing has made me feel as good as exercise. 

I remember that the workout was really hard and that I felt a sense of accomplishment at the end. Each class is an accomplishment. I come face to face with something that seems too hard or too daunting but each and every time I finish it. I don't care if you think I sound braggy. This is my blog and I do what I want. I have surprised myself with my determination, when it comes to exercise. When it comes to blogging about it, on the other hand...


I, like every man on the planet, very distinctly remember the first time I shaved. I was in 9th grade and I had gone to Target and purchased shaving cream and shave gel (I was cool enough for gel), locked myself in the downstairs bathroom, and prepared to propel myself into manhood. My whiskers were very fine and barely noticeable because they were so blonde, but it was a very exciting time in my life. It was also a time in my life when I did not understand the concept of "necessity". 


The very next day I was down in the bathroom shaving again. Nothing had grown overnight. This is not an exaggeration at all. NOTHING had grown. But I felt this overwhelming sense of responsibility to shave every day that week. What happened? I got razor burn and my skin was really irritated. I wasn't patient enough to wait until I needed to shave again.

I think that's what I did with this blog, too. I was initially so excited that I felt the need to constantly update all of you devoted readers (and you occasional or first-time readers) because that's what made me feel important. But all I got was blog posts that were watered down and had no substance. 


Along with my promise to try and update regularly, I'm committing to myself to only update if I need to update. If it's an uneventful workout, you will not hear about it. It's fun for me to feel like I have a following, but ultimately I'm doing this for me and I'm not going to feel the need to blog simply because it's what I'm supposed to do. Trust me, I'm sparing you from mindless rambling about nonsensical subjects. Also, nonsensical is a pretty awesome word.


And one final tidbit: I may be doing this for me, but all of your comments and views are a source of encouragement so keep them coming. Most of the time I can force myself to the gym because I know I'm bettering myself, but occasionally I only go for you folks. And share the blog, dammit. I love being recognized out among the common people.

4 comments:

  1. "I don't care if you think I sound braggy. This is my blog and I do what I want." Lol love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sam, I had to learn the same exact lesson with my blog in the past few months. While it's super fun (and can get a little bit obsessive) to check the number of views and comments you've gotten with each post, you really have to remind yourself why you started doing this in the first place and who you're really doing it for. I'm proud of you for kind of hitting the re-set button with more realistic blogging goals and taking some breathing space so that your posts have more meaning to you! Also, you look AWESOME! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sam, you are an amazing man and I'm so thankful our paths have crossed. I want you to know from the bottom of my heart; men and woman like you are the reason I love my job! Stay on your path and know that I will be here for you anytime you need me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really proud of you for sticking with the blogging and working out! I'll admit, I'm horrible at committing to both of those things! Also you look great and I'm glad to hear you're feeling great too!! After I pop this baby out I'm going to need some major motivation to get back in shape so I'm relying on you. You have the best endurance for a goal and workout plan I've seen so I'm definitely going to be taking pointers!!

    ReplyDelete