Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Foresight...

My plans of going to the gym have once again been thwarted by dirty laundry. I get off of work today and I'm really excited to go to Zumba because I have my court date tomorrow for my ridiculous 'hit and run' accusation. I've got some steam to burn off. Best Friend Rachel has abandoned me because she's in a cozy mood and doesn't want to leave her house. Plus she went to the gym for spin class this morning and doesn't really feel like going back, so I'd be going by myself if I had planned ahead and washed my gym clothes.

I throw them in the wash as soon as I get home and spend the next hour and a half hoping they'll be done in time for Zumba. No such luck. Plus, I get a call from my mother who is checking on me to make sure I feel okay about tomorrow. I literally have the best mother in the world. I will fight anyone who says otherwise and I will win because I am getting ripped from my trips to the gym. So instead of going to zumba, I decide to simply do some cardio and weights.


I'm going to take a brief moment to reflect, if you'll permit me, which you will because it's my blog and you can choose to skip over this part, if you want. I find it very amusing that what started as my standard gym trip (doing cardio and lifting weights) has taken a back seat to classes, which are things I thought I would never enjoy. Speaking from personal experience, if you force yourself to do something that may not sound altogether appealing, you may find it's something that you enjoy. I was terrified to do any class and now that's my primary form of workout. And I love them.


On my way to the gym I get a call from Liz because she needs help moving her air conditioner into the basement. I graciously agree to help because I'm such a nice guy, plus it provides me with a chance to show off how strong I am. And to top it off, it's technically strength training.


After I assist with the a/c and have a brief conversation, I head to the gym. I choose to start with the elliptical. Once again, something I used to hate that I now kind of enjoy. I also just downloaded some sick tunes to keep me motivated, so I'm really excited about this.


I hop on and start with 'Diamonds' by Rihanna. I wait for the elliptical to get difficult. It doesn't during Diamonds. Then 'It's Time' by Imagine Dragons comes on. This get's me fired up so I push a little harder. I don't feel like I have to stop. Ellie Goulding comes next with 'Anything Could Happen'. Call me crazy, but sweating and muscle burning feels amazing right now. I'm close to a half mile after eight minutes so I push to finish the full half mile in just over ten minutes. And I count that as an accomplishment because it was a constantly pushing ten minutes. 


Then I do some weights and judge some people on their footwear. Honestly, who wears LOAFERS to the gym? You look like an idiot. Actually, maybe I judge too harshly. Maybe if I tried wearing loafers to the gym I would realize how amazing it is. But as of right now, I'm content to be ignorant and judge away while I work my upper body and catch myself, on more than one occasion, checking myself out in the mirrors. Holy crap I've turned into one of those gym weirdos. 

1 comment:

  1. "Holy crap I've turned into one of those gym weirdos." This is the best line ever. Amused me for nearly half an hour.

    ReplyDelete