Monday, January 28, 2013

Sabotage...

Despite my best efforts (okay, not my best efforts, but semi-decent) the plan I laid out for the weekend morphed into something different. Friday night is great. I show up ready for spin and even get about fifteen minutes of pre-riding in. Justin is teaching this class and pops over before it starts to tell me that everything I'm doing is wrong. My seat is at the wrong height and my handle bars are too close. Riding a bike is hard.

After my lesson in bike riding, Justin heads up to the front to start class. I'm wary after my first spin experience. Heavens knows I don't need to spend another Friday night crying. But this seems like an energetic class, which should prevent me from becoming over-emotional. 

Justin is an interesting spin instructor. He did tell me before my first experience that regardless of how I felt afterwards, I had to give his class a try because his were always fun. Fun may be a slight overstatement because really, how fun could an hour on a stationary bike be? It's not exactly at the top of my list for birthday party ideas. But I do find myself entertained and motivated enough to last the entire hour-long class.


Throughout the class, Justin keeps referencing some woman (I'm assuming as a motivational tool) who is constantly either just ahead of us or gaining on us or any other action that could possibly be considered threatening. By the end of class, I hate this imaginary woman. She has got to be the rudest woman ever. I would throw a stick in her spokes if I could. By the end of the hour, I have ridden 25 miles. My butt is as sore as can be from that stupid bike seat, but I feel pretty proud of myself.


After the biking, because I'm a glutton for punishment (and a glutton in general) I decide I'm going to swim. I neglected to bring goggles and so water keeps getting in my eyes and I keep choking on water because I'm trying to keep my head above water the whole time. I probably look like Fit Andrew trying to swim. It's awful. So I stop after not too long and call it a night.

Saturday we'll call a rest day. My alarm goes off at 6:45 and I want to die because my butt hurts so bad. Two days in a row on a bike seat for an hour? I think not. So I go back to bed and wake up after Pilates. I decide that I'm going to do some yoga, but I can't find the videos. I swear to you, exercise sabotage is a thing and I am a victim.

Sunday I wake up and I'm super pumped about the gym. The problem is, I can't find either pair of my hot pink headphones. I said it once and I'll say it again. Sabotage. But Andrew ever so politely reminds me that I tend to lose things and that it's not sabotage. Fine Andrew, we could have had a ton of fun solving the mystery of the missing headphones but we'll just cop it up to me being slightly scatterbrained. Boring.

We head over to the gym and I and start with fifteen minutes on the elliptical. Is there a term for ellipticalling? Whatever it is, I do it, and I do it well. After I elliptical I timidly enter the weight room. It's literally been over a month since I've been in the weight room. And it seems like they rearrange everything constantly. Where are my usual machines?! Oh, right there. I apologize for being overly dramatic.

After the weights I swim. Yeah, it's a lot for one day, but it's necessary. I enter the pool area right at the end of family swim and pick my lane. Let me tell you there is nothing better than watching a bunch of children leave the pool you are about to use. It's a sign that literal calm waters await and you won't have to listen to any annoying crying or screaming or laughing. I get in a couple of laps, definitely more than on Friday, but I don't go too crazy because this is not my only exercise today.

Side note: Every time I go to the gym I check in on foursquare and if you're mayor, my gym rewards you. I had been mayor for 2 months before some new lady came in and stole it from me. And now I think she works there. Totally not fair, if you ask me.

No comments:

Post a Comment