Thursday, January 24, 2013

Shame...

Shame is a funny thing. Often times the things people feel shameful about are the things that make them relatable and human. Many of you may think of me as some sort of workout-god given my outrageous fitness prowess and so the following confession may shock you. I fell off the horse. The horse in this metaphor represents exercise; I didn't actually fall off a horse. That would really hurt.

After the joy of my physical I did not go to the gym all week. That is my shameful confession. It wasn't that I thought I didn't need to go, I know I should have, but I was too easily swayed by my laziness and the promise of social gatherings. I've said it before and I'll say it again: exercise needs to be a priority. This means I need to make difficult decisions like not going out to eat a pasta and bread filled dinner and instead force myself to use that stupid elliptical and blast my arms and legs with weight machines.


The tragedy of all tragedies (not to belittle actual tragedies) is that I had planned on going to the gym every night I wasn't working, which would have been four nights. I missed out on four nights of the gym because I convinced myself that it was okay if I skipped because I had this huge accomplishment under my shrinking belt.


I think part of my problem is that my mind is convinced I've already succeeded and that things can therefore go back to how they were. I somehow have to convince my brain that while I have had success, I am not yet finished. I have a long ways to go. 26 pounds, while great, does not bring me into a healthy weight bracket. Stupid brain, stop making me feel things I don't need to feel!


So this is my oath, in front of all of the internet: I will go to Spin class and swim on Friday night and spin class and Pilates on Saturday morning. I will then swim and do weights on Sunday. This is my workout plan and I will stick with it. Even if I am too warm in my house and in my bed and a really great episode of Downton Abbey is waiting on my DVR. It will still be there when I get back.


Tell me your weekend workout plans and I will be with you in misery, though you may be far away. I maybe you'll enjoy yourself and I'll be the only one in misery. Either way we'll be exercising and that will be amazing. 


3 comments:

  1. Ugh, I am quite literally siting in my warm wonderful bed mentally arguing with myself about going to the gym. So now I am going to brave my freezing cold house, go out to my car to get my gym stuff, then drive my lazy butt to the gym.

    <3 Good luck! And if you ever want a walking partner / hiking buddy shoot me a message. I always do more when I have a friend with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Once again you've managed to identify the traps that snag us AND give us a way out of them. All without making us hate ourselves. Kudos. Big time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saturday morning. Teach Zumba. No problem! Lift weights...where I need accountability 'cause it's not dancy and fun. Now I've got the accountability. Thanks! (And you have a partner for at least some of your misery. ;-D )

    ReplyDelete