Tuesday, October 23, 2012

Knot...

I wake up this morning with an awful feeling in my left leg. It's in the calf/shin area and it kills. I have no idea what's wrong but it lessens as the day goes on, so I don't really think anything of it (side note: I've also had wicked chafing on my inner left thigh, an awful side effect of being a fat person who decides to start exercising). I mention it to my coworker and she tells me I should probably not do Zumba tonight. Negative. I WILL be doing Zumba. I missed the last 2 weeks and I've been looking forward to Zumba all weekend. Especially since I had to miss yesterday's gym time because I went after the gym closed.

So, against her advice, I go to Zumba and meet up with my best friend Rachel. We're a little early so we chat outside that class and pity the people who are currently in the studio doing a class that I won't be ready for for at least three months. We also talk about going to a Body Combat class.


When the class ends, I head in and take my spot right in the front row. I'm not going to be shoved to the back, this time. I am going to shine and everyone will be jealous of me and my smooth hips. Before we start, Best Friend Rachel makes me promise not to mock her for having no rhythm and guarantees me that she will sweat more than I will. Challenge accepted.


As class starts, I fall into a groove. Moves come back to me and I'm feeling the burn, which is really great. But about 10 minutes in, my left leg starts hurting and my whole back feels like its cramping. Why does this happen to me? I take it easy when I have to and I stretch after each song, but it still doesn't feel super great. I am thankful for every song that is slower that involves less moving.


At the end of class, I'm so relieved I could cry. And I totally win the more sweat contest. I could ring out my shirt and collect s fair amount of sweat. And Best Friend Rachel is not struggling in the rhythm department.


I decide that I need to do some swimming in order to cool myself down and so I head to the pool . I can only do a total of ten lengths before I have to call it a day. I decide that the steam room may be the perfect thing for me, since I was feeling so tense in Zumba. I go in for six minutes and come out feeling a little better.


But then I stumble. From the gym, on my smartphone, I order Domino's Pizza to pick up on my way home. There should be a law against ordering junk food while inside a gym. Now, I used to get Domino's fairly frequently. So frequently, in fact, that the employees of Domino's greet me by street address when I arrive to pick up my pizza. Talk about embarrassing. 


While I did take one step back, I would say that I took two steps forward. Before when I would order Domino's, I would have no problem consuming an entire pizza, and then some, in one sitting. Tonight, I limit myself to two slices and now I basically have a week's worth of lunches.


I also figure out that I have a wicked bad knot in my calf muscle, and that is why my leg has been hurting. I attempt to massage it out before going to bed by resting it on a metal water bottle and on my bed post. It kills, but I know I have to keep doing it if I want to get rid of the knot faster. 



I just posted a picture of me in my underwear on the internet. I'm such a rebel.

So if anyone has any suggestions of how to get a knot out of a calf muscle or if anyone wants to help me by massaging it, let me know. 

2 comments:

  1. Get a bottle of tonic water and drink about 3 ounces. The quinine in tonic water helps.

    ReplyDelete
  2. http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/travelstick.html?CID=GoogleShopping


    You need to get a muscle massage stick. And you roll it over the knot with pressure and roll back and forth. Also eat bananas and hydrate. Cramps happen sometimes from lack of water. 2 Nalgenes a day

    ReplyDelete