Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Referral...

Today at work, I do a full plank for 30 seconds. Two of them, in fact. On the floor on my toes for a minute, total. I'm amazing. I literally couldn't do that a week ago. So see, everyone? Exercising works! 

After my incredibly victorious day at work, I come home and find out that Fit Andrew would like to come to the gym, as well. I'm always excited when other people are interested in trying out my gym. I love even a slight prospect at getting five bucks off my monthly membership fee. Andrew has a little trouble locating his other tennis shoe while getting ready, but after I dramatically search and happen to find it, we're off.


Crap on a stick, Carla isn't at the desk tonight. Oh well, I'll save my greeting for another day. We come in and get set up with a visitor's pass for Andrew and then head down to the cardio room. We make for the elliptical machines. I work out for fifteen minutes next to Fit Andrew, saying a silent prayer asking God to please make him fall off or at least stumble. But no, he just takes off and doesn't ever stop. I, on the other hand, sweat and burn and in an event that I can only describe as magic, drop my iPod off of the machine and it rips my headphones out of my ears. So I do my last 4 minutes without it.


After I finish my fifteen minutes and awkwardly reach for my iPod without getting smacked in the face by Andrew's elliptical, I move on to the weight room. It's a leg day, and leg days are rough. I start on the calf machine, which I have now mastered. In fact, I'm pretty sure people are watching me to figure out how I do it and do it while looking amazing. On to thighs, then hamstrings, then glutes, because I want a nice butt.


Then Andrew and I decide we will do some swimming. Skinny Matt happens to be at the gym, too, and after quick introductions and talk about the earthquake that happened (yes, earthquake) Andrew and I head to the pool.



Seriously, it was about this dramatic

It is in the pool where I get to feel physically superior to Andrew. Now don't get me wrong, he's a good swimmer, but when it comes to using a boogie board and just kicking, I win. Small victory, I know, but a victory nonetheless.

After swimming, it's adventure time. Once again, I attempt to use the steam room. I'm feeling a little braver because I'll have company and therefore conversation to distract me from my suffocating. And Matt also happens to be in there and offers the advice of grabbing a cup of ice water before heading in. I only stay in for about 5 minutes, but it's a comfortable five minutes and I could have stayed longer if I wanted. Is it easier to use the steam room if you're more in-shape?


On my way out, I make a point to introduce myself to the woman at the front desk. After all, she was very helpful with Andrew's visitor's pass. Her name is Taylor and she is so pleasant. I'm telling you, it's these wonderful employees of the gym that make it so easy to keep coming back. It's almost like they're my friends or something weird like that.

2 comments:

  1. Sam, does the steam room provide some health benefit? I've never known what the point of a steam room is.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's good for relaxing muscles after a workout and releases toxins from your skin. That's why I always do it after a swim. It helps get that nasty chlorine feeling off my skin.

    ReplyDelete