Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Milestone...

Today marks the longest amount of time I have ever consistently exercised. One month and 4 days. So apparently this whole gym then blog thing really works. So if I fail, I can blame my lack of readers. And you don't want that on your conscience, do you? So share the blog and follow it.

After work (where I neglected to plank despite getting a call from Jane) I head out to dinner with a couple of great friends. I still had a free entree and dessert coupon for Not Your Average Joe's, so we go and use it up. I have a DELICIOUS sirloin wedge salad and end with a great dessert of Peanut Butter Ice Cream Pie. And then I have to go to the gym.


Apparently eating that much for dinner doesn't make a huge difference in tonight's workout. As I enter the gym Carla (who is often at the front desk when I come in) greets me by name. And to adhere to my policy of being honest and truthful, I only know her name because I asked Matt. It seemed unfair for her to continually greet me by name and not return the favor, so the next time I go to the gym, she will get a very enthusiastic personal greeting from me. 


Now, because of my training sessions with Justin, I am convicted to use that awful elliptical machine. So I hop on that, first, and go for a full fifteen minutes. As usual, I am crazy sweating the whole time and I'm very grateful when my fifteen minutes are up. I repeat the flapping move that I learned on Thursday and then head into the weight room.


I've said it before and I will say it again. Weight rooms have always intimidated me. I have never seen a single person who is not buff beyond belief in a weight room. Today is only slightly out of the norm. There are several buff guys walking around, examining themselves in the mirrors (something I never understood and continue to be confused by)  and an older woman lifting weights and making me feel exceptionally weak. But one of the guys walking around is apparently working on legs and every exercise he does causes him to look like he is about to cry. At least I'll be entertained during my lifting.


I'm working the upper body, today, so I do some back and chest exercises. I have to say, I've gotten really good at actually engaging the proper muscle groups when I use these machines, which causes me to experience a little more muscle soreness, but I kind of like feeling sore after doing a workout.


Before I leave, I decide that I am going to try the virtual bike game thing that CJ tried to get me to do on my very first day. After setting up a profile, I log in and try a basic course. It's only a mile long, so I won't feel like I've committed to a really long workout. Basically, I get to ride a bike around a track and I have to turn the handle bars to stay on the track and I pass other riders, as well. And you know what? I have fun. Are you happy, CJ?! I HAD FUN! So much so, in fact, that I do a second track before I go home for the night. I may have to do it again.

2 comments:

  1. Congrats on the milestone! 30 days to a habit is what I hear, so you're well on your way!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hate the weight room too!

    ReplyDelete