Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Shake...

I get home from work and my fit roommate is exercising. Gee, thanks for being so fit and still exercising and making me feel incredibly lazy. You're lucky you're so encouraging with my journey towards fitness or I'd want to kick you into a wall. Plus, it gives me good perspective that even fit people struggle and sweat while exercising, so I take it back. Keep up the good work Fit Andrew.

I have plans to go to Zumba with some friends later, but I still want to get in my yoga for the day. Fit Andrew has graciously bequeathed one of his old yoga mats to me, which makes a surprising difference in my workout. I don't fret about my sweat hitting the mat, I don't have to worry about getting crumbs on my back, and I don't slip around on the carpet when I do bridge pose. 


I leave for the gym as soon as I'm done with yoga and meet up with Christine and Lisa. Much like my Pilates experience, I'm the only male in the class and I'm the only person who has no experience with Zumba. This should be fun. After a brief explanation about what will be happening for the next hour, the instructor starts the music.


Let me take this opportunity to say, I have found my calling and my calling is Zumba. Zumba combines my need to workout with my desire to constantly bust a move. And I am REALLY good at busting a move. Many people are surprised to learn that I'm such a good dancer, but it's one of my favorite pastimes. The music is pumping and I'm jumping around, working my hips and flailing my arms in a very controlled way. I am oh so seductive. And 10 minutes in I am oh so sweaty. 



I mean, look at me go. I'm amazing.

Throughout the class, I do find myself having to modify the moves so that I don't keel over, but I surprise myself with my ability to keep up and have fun while exercising. The instructor comments on what a vocal class we are, and I credit myself for that. If anyone wants to do Zumba, I will absolutely go with you and you will absolutely have a blast. 

As the class winds down, we do a final stretching dance. This is the most fun I've ever had at a workout. One of the other members of the class, who must be a regular, tells my friends and me that we should come to the Sunday one too, because we made the class so much more enjoyable. You bet lady. You will see me there.

4 comments:

  1. Ditch the workout, join the party! I'm a friend of your mom's a work, and I'm a Zumba instructor, too. There are many amazing stories of people just like you who found their calling with Zumba and saw incredible changes in their health. This is just one story. http://www.ellentv.com/2012/10/02/ellens-fan-gets-a-surprise/

    ReplyDelete
  2. BTW, I forgot to mention, I'm impressed with your courageous and adventuresome spirit to try new things.I hope you'll grow to love Zumba even more. It's changed MY life, that's for sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. My favorite post yet, Sam! Thanks for making me laugh as always. Wishing I could Zumba with you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ZUMBA is the BOMB, I'm so glad it found you Sam! Love hearing about your successes!

    ReplyDelete