Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Obligations...

Basically all weekend long I've had this awful cold that will not go away and it has made me not want to do anything. I did Pilates on Saturday but between moving a couch into the house that ended up not fitting and working at Target, I have been exhausted all weekend. And today is not different. I have made plans with Best Friend Rachel to go to Zumba, but she texts me and has to cancel because she has a date, which I take as a sign from God that I should give it a rest and focus on getting better.

I'm home from work and ready to crash when I get a text from Lisa asking if I'm going to go to Zumba. I tell her I'm going to pass on Zumba but that I'll probably be at the gym doing some lifting. I make a little dinner and as I'm eating, the skinny person inside of me screams 'Go to the gym, you lazy poop'. Skinny Me has a point. I really should just go. Plus I always enjoy Zumba and I could use a little pick-me-up. So I hop back on my phone and tell Lisa I will be at Zumba and she had better be there, too.


An hour later, I'm dressed in my gorgeous gym apparel (I've decided to embrace it, what else can I do?) waiting outside the studio, telling Lisa all about how I might pass out from oxygen deprivation. Either that or I'll be taking frequent breaks to prevent death. Either way I think I'm doing a good thing by coming to the gym despite feeling ill. 


We enter the studio and Lisa stops in the back, so I have to correct her and tell her that we dance up in front, because we're awesome.I think it's funny that after this long of consistently attending classes at the gym, I still get a tinge of nervousness before classes begin. Like suddenly the class will be completely different and I won't be able to do it, or I'll be asked to demonstrate for the entire class. That whole demonstration thing never happens, so I have no idea why I'm nervous about it, but I am.


Turns out Zumba was exactly what I needed. It's a ton of fun dancing around to songs with a good beat, learning dance moves and feeling like I'm a part of a massive choreographed impromptu dance party. It get's my heart rate going which only makes me less aware of the cold that has been plaguing me, and I don't need to break at all. Also, I think I worked my magic and dug out that ingrown toenail that had been bugging me so I have no more foot pain, either. What a wonderful Monday this has morphed into. 


After the completion of our Zumba workout, Lisa insists on using the 'women only' area to do her weightlifting and refuses to accompany me to the regular weight room. So I go by myself and do some arms and chest. Arm-Candy is back with the most ridiculous looking bun ever, balanced precariously on top of her head. Honestly it's hard not to laugh at people when they take themselves so seriously. Plus she's helping me by bringing a smile to my face, so it can't really be that bad.


I head to the grocery store after the gym because tonight is the only night I'll have available to grocery shop. This is what my life becomes when I pick up a second job and try to squeeze in gym time. I'll keep you posted on how that endeavor goes. 

2 comments:

  1. Good thing your second job sells groceries!

    Happy Thanksgiving :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Zumba to the rescue! I love your description of Zumba. Dance party, you bet! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete