Saturday, November 10, 2012

Rewards...

Two posts in one day? I know it's crazy, but I need to catch up and I have nothing to do on a Saturday afternoon. But remember, we're magically being transported back to Thursday, because that's how this blog works. Magically.

I've come to look forward to Thursdays so much because it means Pilates day at the gym. I'm anxious to see who will be in class and I'm excited to work my butt off. Actually, I want to whip my butt into shape and actually get one, but you know what I mean so stop it. I arrive and who should be there but Nadine the Liar. I'm so happy she's back. Classes are made by the energetic people who attend and I can always count on Nadine to be full of energy and happiness (its possible to know that after meeting someone once, trust me). I come to find out she's read the blog and learned of her nickname. I have to reassure her that it's a term of endearment. We decide to be neighbors during Pilates as long as she promises not to laugh when I decide I've done enough of a particular exercise.


Let me say this: it's become quite common for people to approach me at the gym and say how much they enjoy reading my blog and I would love for this to keep happening. Please don't be scared away by my celebrity or feel unworthy to approach me. You may indeed be unworthy but you will never hear about it from me.


Kiki comes in, also full of energy and greets the class. I guess some people haven't been in a while so she gives a few specific hellos before we begin. She also talks about tequila, and gives some great tips of kinds to try. I may have to do that, later. Today is a class where we focus on performing each exercise correctly and so while it's not a particularly fast paced class, it still give me quite a workout.


I tend to get cramped up on certain exercises so I try to really focus on relaxing those particular parts of my body. I especially get cramped in the arch of my foot when I point. It kills.I would venture to say it's worth than a charlie horse because I know that pointing my toe is going to cause a cramp and yet I do it anyway. Isn't that the definition of insanity? Or something? I swear I've heard that before.


When it comes time to plank and do push-ups, I know class is almost over. That's almost always how we end things. I usually automatically start with my knees down because I'm convinced I can't do any better. But this time, I decide to challenge myself and try a full on plank. Miraculously, I complete the whole plank and lower down into push-ups. This I do need to lower my knees for, but where I used to struggle to do one, I can now do three or four before I really start to struggle. I know, I incredible. Feel free to say so in the comment section.


After class, I talk to Kiki about how awesome class was and she tells me that she's so glad that I keep coming. To know that I started off thinking Pilates was awful to it being one of my favorite times of the week proves that it's awesome. And if you don't think so, I challenge you to take three Pilates classes and tell me you don't enjoy it by the third class. If you happen to be on the North Shore or anywhere near the Beverly Athletic Club, check out the Facebook page for Kiki Pilates here. You will not regret it.

1 comment: